Thursday, January 31, 2013

Carnavore No More? Hmm?


Oh my! Am I becoming a bleeding heart for animals? Okay, well maybe I was already one considering I have always been one to catch an insect and set them outside. After watching them throw themselves mercilessly into windows that confuse them so much, I have always felt that they made a wrong left turn and accidentally got in the house only to find themselves chased down and smashed to death as they try desperately to figure out how to get out. But even then, I was not too much of a bleeding heart because I did discriminate. If I could, I would take a semi-automatic shotgun to a mosquito, cockroach, or stinkbug (if it didn't stink so bad to kill it). 

But recently I watched a scene from a vegan convert brainwash eat healthier movie where a sad and mooing mother cow was chasing down the baby calf that they had ripped moments earlier from her body. They were dragging it across the ground to another location to become veal whilst they prepared to inseminate her in order to keep her pumping the leche. Got milk? 

Well, it kind of made it hard to buy the meat for my newest recent lamb stew recipe. Obviously not too hard though, because it wore off a week later as I broke down and made a crock pot of beef stew.

But the seed has been planted and the images keep coming back. And lately, I must admit, I truly keep finding myself dining on more and more meatless plates these days. Why, I even made my famous black bean six can dump soup with – brace yourself – vegetable broth. And the McDonald chicken nuggets that I typically so bravely dine upon with my six year old son, now turns my stomach with the thought of how they are raised, treated, processed, and well,... put together.

I am not saying that I am out to save cows and chickens, become a vegan, and join PETA's painting parties. I own a fur, and I wear leather... (so far.) And yes, I will use the same imaginary semi-automatic on the PETA people that I would use on my mosquito if any one of them dared look at my coat. It was a special gift, and if anybody is going to throw paint, it will be me once I complete my conversion. For now, I am not making any declarations… or judgments for that matter.  I will simply keep reading journals, watching documentaries, and trying like “Susan,” to desperately find myself (or at least good health) and see where it will take me.

1 comment: