Sunday, February 26, 2012

Tenure



Year one
I danced a mean tango
With him.
I looked into his Eyes
That would not
Could not
Look back.
I pushed.
He shoved.
I won,
Because he won.
He smiled,
Made friends,
Sang the Faerie song
One Midsummer’s Night Eve
Side by side
With the sighted
While he
Was blind.


 In September
Of year two,
I met his genius
And watched it
Slowly slide
From A
To F,
From sweet
To hard,
Clean
To disheveled.
Flippant… cold.
Dancing eyes turned dark
Empty.
I heard myself ask
for missing work
And cringed.
I knew
I was watching
Him watch
His mother
Slowly Fading,
Body failing
Slowly dying
In May.



Year three
Brought an Angel.
Tall
Graceful.
She spread her wings
And wrapped
Lost souls,
Outcasts,
Cool kids,
In the light of her smile –
A child
Saving children
From others
And themselves.
A child
With an adult illness
Ever smiling
while checking numbers.
Teaching the teacher
Patience, tolerance.
Mission complete,
She died.
An angel on loan
From heaven,
Leaving me to teach.


Tenured.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Queen. i had a rough week last week. One of my star students died in her sleep. When you start teaching they never tell you how the actual teaching becomes secondary to everything else. Heck, I don't know if I am a teacher, a counselor, a foster mom, or a psychologist half the time.

    ReplyDelete